Friday, March 31, 2006

Time passing

I'm getting used to this blogging business now and I think I've sorted the weird American times that were registering... and you'll be glad to hear that I've sorted the problem some of you were having with leaving comments.

Thanks to those of you who managed to respond to my posing of one or two questions.

I have to say as a teenager, there were very few books targeted at me and I don't mean the playground bully throwing things, either.

Children's lit. has really taken off. I remember reading, as a child, Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew mysteries, the Hardy Boys and then all the usual canon stuff-Animal Farm, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, but out of choice I read mostly adventure type books. Maybe that's all there was back then? Or maybe it was all I knew about.

I've actually relived my teenage years through reading today's books aimed at teens. They're SO lucky to have so much choice. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night and Gathering Light have to be two of my favourites but I'm always on the look out for more.

I found out today that the following books are on the short list for the Red House Children's Book awards which are based on children's votes so they must be what teenagers like. Driftwood by Cathy Cassidy
Paralysed by Sherry Ashworth
Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordon

I'm going to see if I can get one or two to read! In the mean time I'm reading I Coriander by Sally Gardner which is great.

For those who are interested, here's the website for Red House Book Awards
http://www.redhousechildrensbookaward.co.uk/

So, question two: Any recommendations for good reads? Children's lit. or otherwise.