Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Insane hysteria or rejectionobia

It's been over a week, now, since I completed my novel and I still haven't had time to re-read it and send it off. I want it as good as possible before it wings its way to the agent. Having read recently about the editing process and had first hand experience with my educational writing, I know a re-read is always worth it. (Cue smile and big bright teeth)

Well that's what I'm telling myself, although truth be told, I'm actually terrified that after all my hours of effort, my prized novel will still come back with a big BUT .... and a THANKS BUT NO THANKS stamped across the front.

I think you all know what I'm talking about, unless you're one of the lucky few whose first efforts were accepted. We all know what rejection feels like. A big old slap in the face.

I was amused to read about a cynical and previously rejected author who turned to other means and succeeded. This article was posted on a message board I visit and it really made me laugh- probably insane hysteria setting in, at the prospect of another big brown envelope returning like a boomerang to my door mat.

In any case, the manuscript WILL be sent in the next week and if it returns back unloved, I'll put it down to experience and move on.
You have to, don't you?
Who dares wins!
No pain, no gain!
If at first, you don't succeed try, try again!(In my case we can substitute first with something else)
Well, you get my meaning.
Oh the trials and tribulations of writing! No-one could accuse me of being melodramtic. Please, moi?