Monday, May 29, 2006

Bank Holiday Monday

I was flicking through my copy of Children's Writers' & Artists' Yearbook a couple of days ago. One of the articles in it has some very useful advice on how to get started in writing for kids which I thought I'd share:

1- Read, read, read
2- Get out and about- researching in bookshops, libraries and through children themselves
3- Watch and listen- to what's popular in kids' media
4- Network- with other authors/illustrators
5- Never underestimate the job at hand
6- Use your experiences
7- Research catalogues and websites of publishers
8- Submit your material with care- follow guidelines and make sure it's your best work
9- Identify your USP (unique selling point)
10- Don't give up

So... it's as easy as that!

While I'm here I thought I'd provide a link to an anthology with some of my writing in it. It was produced by a writers' group I belonged to when I worked in London, but which I no longer attend. My entry is entitled The Voice.

Also, below is a copy of a poem I wrote some time ago. It's one of my more transparent poems. Hope you enjoy it!


The Bubble


He lives
In an iridescent glow
Of convex curves:
Bubblegum blown in childhood
Through which only he can enter.
Beware
An outstretched hand
That will pop
The fragile
Impenetrable safety of his bubble.
It might stick.


(Copyright N. Ensaff)