Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Da Vinci Code

I went to see The Da Vinci Code yesterday- a Tuesday evening and the cinema was packed. A company had even booked a private viewing for their employees!! So, bad reviews mean nothing.

Not having read the book, I have nothing to compare the film with and I thought it was okay, light entertainment, really. Not deep or believable.

Too much code breaking going on for my liking. It was a bit like a Nancy Drew book in this respect and my twelve year old inner child liked that, but the first part of the film seemed rushed. There was way too much happening and things didn't unfold in a natural way. It got better, I thought, but there were quite a few co-incidences like the professor happening to know some British historian who lived in France and who was an expert on the Priory and who later in a bizarre and, dare I say it, unbelievable twist turned out to be someone else. I found the ideas engaging and am interested to find out more about the premise of the novel, but the construction is what I found shallow. Still, what do I know?

I've not sold millions of books and as the Guardian pointed out today the film took £119 million globally in its opening weekend so 'there is a significant gap between public and pundit opinion'.