Monday, May 15, 2006

One bite at a time

If, like me, you missed the wonderful spectacle of the mechanical elephant in London, here's a link for you. It takes you through the story and provides some pictures of the amazing machine. What a fantastic idea. It reminds me of childhood and the wonder of fairytales.

Don't you wish sometimes that you could return to that magical time? Perhaps that's what writers, especially children's writers, do- give us the freedom to explore our inner child. Of course, it very much depends on the nature of the text.

If you write for children or anyone in fact, have a look at Anita Loughrey's recent blog posts- she has some useful stuff on writing: advice from Tony Bradman, the children's writer.

Getting back to my main post and speaking of elephants, I have a mountain of things to do: researching and writing my new novel, marking some essays, preparing lessons and living life- but as they say the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Guess I better get munching then!