Thursday, May 11, 2006

The View from the Window

I thought I'd post something before I spend a couple of hours writing. Yes, you read right, I am forcing myself to do some writing today. No more excuses. In fact I've been inspired.

I had my creative writing group at school and have aired the idea of posting a few paragraphs of their work and they're okay with it, so that's something for you to look forward to! Till then, you'll have to make do with my work.

Here's the opening to my new novel: The View from the Window



You wouldn’t have guessed from my appearance where I live and you wouldn’t have guessed from my calm demeanour that something earth shattering has just happened.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if you push a person to the brink, sooner or later he’ll snap. That’s why when they arrived in their uniforms and with their questions I sat knowingly observing them from above.

In this city you can sit for hours unnoticed. Anonymity is very important here. People come to be forgotten or get forgotten on the way and then they leave. I’ve seen them in their suits and shiny shoes with their mobile phones and laptop cases. I’ve seen them all. They come and then they go like fish swimming downstream, carried with the tide.

Sometimes it gets to me. It seems like the tunnel of life that they burrow looms before me like a disaster waiting to happen. Sometimes, at night in the dark, I feel the stale air of the city clamping its arms around me but then I remember I have it all. I have it all in the palm of my hand. Destiny’s what you make of it and I have big plans for my future and that makes me smile.

Even so I watch and I worry - not for me of course – for them: those unfortunate souls who don’t have it all. They’re a disaster waiting to happen and sometimes I feel that I am powerless to stop it, so I just sit and I wait.


Copyright 2006 N.Ensaff

I won't let you know what happens next, but I hope you're dying to know. Any comments are welcome!