Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Better bend than break

I'm drowning in GCSE papers at the moment so my blog posts and writing will no doubt suffer. However, as of 7th July, I will be free to write as much as I wish and I fully intend to do so. I have to admit that the goals I set myself a couple of weeks ago are not all being kept. The marking and walking are but the writing at the moment isn't. I think there is a proverb that says better bend than break and, on this occasion, I have chosen to opt for this.

There are many places this idea could be said to have originated but my favourite is Chinese and it states:

Human beings are
soft and supple when alive,
stiff and straight when dead.

The myriad creatures, grasses and trees are
soft and supple when alive,
dry and withered when dead.

Therefore it is said:
the rigid person is a disciple of death;
the soft, supple and delicate are lovers of life.

The army that is inflexible will not conquer;
the tree that cannot bend will snap!

The unyielding and mighty will be brought low;
the soft, supple and delicate will rise above them.


I love proverbs. Any favourites?