Thursday, June 01, 2006

The power of words

Well, I succumbed once again to the '3 for 2' offer, but this time at a Waterstone's. Now I have six books to read over the summer.I've started the first one: Body Double- a very compelling first chapter! I don't normally read crime fiction but I thought it'd help me with my current novel and besides I've just not had time to read in ages!!

The other two I went for are Hide and Seek and We need to talk about Kevin

I'll let you know my thoughts on the books when I get through them.

In the meantime, I wanted to share this poem which I wrote in 2003, following a programme I saw about a young man and the awful decision his family was having to make. I was really moved by the story and I called the poem The Voice . Perhaps I will forward it to the International Solidarity Movement some time.

The Voice

‘Switch on or off?’
A muffled cough
Sister and brother
Father and mother
Remember him then
Dark haired and when
Aged twenty one
Away from the fun
Saving Salam
Peace named little man

The movement he joined
Solidarity coined
A phrase for him
'He was their voice,'
She said
Shot in the head
A hospital bed
In a coma

Alive or dead?

Occupied territories
Defended
His life surrendered

Who occupies his room now?


(Tom Hurndall who in 2003 was shot in Israel whilst doing voluntary work for The International Solidarity Movement.)