Sunday, August 06, 2006

Small Press

I've been looking into getting my first ever novel published- not One of a Kind which in actual fact is my second and is with the agent at the moment. My first is a children's novel for 8-12 year olds and is a much lighter story than One of a Kind which is a teen novel.

To this end, I've been investigating the small presses as they're much more receptive to new fiction writers and I've found a few sites which I thought I'd share with all of you.

The first is a site called Branching Out . It lists small presses here and some in the US.

The second is a link to The Small Press Centre which is, as far as I can see, an entirely American directory of small presses, but it lists them under genre headings which is really useful for all you Americans out there.

The last is Jacqui Bennett's list of small presses.

I'm going to spend part of today sifting through these and finding appropriate presses to whom I will submit this first novel. I may even consider submitting a collection of poetry at some stage. So that's my plan for today.

I still have three units for the educational resource due in September to write too, but I may indulge myself and focus on fiction today.