Wednesday, October 11, 2006

An excerpt: The View From My Window


Hello everyone
I know I have been neglectful of my blog, but I thought I'd share some of my writing so that you can see what I've been working on. This is an excerpt from The View From My Window, taken from Chapter 7. It might be difficult to pick up mid flow but you'll hopefully gain an impression of the main voice in the novel. (By the way - despite being written in the first person this is in no way autobiographical!)

On that Saturday, my motorbike sped like a crusade across town. I weaved between cars and mopeds in hot pursuit of Jake in his swanky car. I was an avenging angel seeking the path to resurrection, so my breaking the speed limit was permitted, as far as I was concerned, for believe me, resurrection does not come easy. It was no simple task following Jake undetected. I had to make certain that he did not see me; whilst my head was masked behind a helmet, I feared he might recognise the bike. Of course, I kept at a distance from him and made certain not to draw unwanted attention to myself, but even so my heart beat like venom against my chest and I could feel my face breaking into a cool sweat beneath the visor. It got so that I could hardly breathe under that weighty mask and my head felt heavy and dizzy.

I don’t know whether it was the blood surging to my heart or that blistering heat but I damn near fainted at one stage. I swear I felt my heart stop for an instant and in that moment I saw Hell’s flames stretch out to grab me. It was the burning eyes of my Ma and my Pa’s call that roused me from my momentary stupor so that I came to just as Jake was drawing to a stand still.

Copyright N. Ensaff 2006