Sunday, January 28, 2007

The upward struggle

Sundays. Hmm. Not my favourite day: the day that ends the weekend.

Tomorrow I am going to the BBC to have a look around. I'm also giving an assembly.  I have the honour of talking about the environment at 8.40 in the morning.

On Saturday I received flyers advertising two of my new books with Classroom Resources. Look!



My other weekend news is that I've packaged up a query and sample of One of a Kind to send out to a few agents in the UK and I intend to target some publishers too.

Why do I persist in this? Well, a few years ago I went on an Arvon course during which I met Alan Gibbons, a well known children's author, some of whose books have been shortlisted for the Carnegie Awards and other literary prizes. He is a teacher-author and during our discussions, he revealed that it had taken him ten years to get published. TEN YEARS. For some, I'm sure it takes longer.

Alan didn't, at that time have an agent, and yet he had managed to get published without one, so I'm using his example as inspiration for me.

Finding someone who has succeeded in the business and following his or her example is definitely worth doing. We can all learn something from others can't we?