Friday, March 02, 2007

A Day for Celebration

Yesterday was WORLD BOOK DAY
and St David's Day, both of significance to me.



As a writer English enthusiast, the first cannot pass by unnoticed, so in celebration of World Book Day, I devised a quiz. I've listed some of the questions below and I'm sure the enthusiasts amongst you will be able to answer them. (They're pretty easy really.)

In Pride and Prejudice what is the name of the family with five daughters?
In which country is The Garbage King set?
Name three books written by Charles Dickens.
What was the name of Sherlock Holmes’ assistant?
In which now famous road did he live?
Checkmate is the last in a trilogy of books. Name the other two books.
Who wrote His Dark Materials series of books?
The Outsiders, a novel about two rival gangs in America, is written by whom?
What kind of war did Robert Cormier write about?
In which fictional place did CS Lewis set much of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?

St David's Day is important to me as my mum was Welsh, and I went to sixth form in a school in Cardiff, whose motto was TUA’R GOLEUNI – TOWARDS THE LIGHT. Inspiring, don't you think?!
It must have been because famous past pupils include Nobel prize winner and physicist, Brian Josephson, the writer Craig Thomas and newsreaders John Humphreys and Jeremy Bowen ... and, of course, me :-)