Friday, November 09, 2007

Every day is a weekend

It's Friday and that means the weekend, and that means -tidying my place, reading and yes, joy of joys... sleep oh sweet sleep. I am feeling seriously sleep deprived. And grumpy. Why? Oh there are many reasons but for now I shall tell you the most relevant. REJECTION. Yes, I got yet another rejection from a publisher for my teen novel.

A month or so ago I got an email from a reader at Chicken House who had read my first three chapters and liked them. She asked me to email a synopsis of my novel One of a Kind and promptly then asked for the whole novel. I sent this to Chicken House with little hope but what hope I had has been DASHED.

I got a letter from her two days ago telling me that she enjoyed reading the book, liked the background which she felt was authentic but didn't think the lead character's story was strong enough. Those of you who have followed my blog for sometime will be aware that this novel has had a number of comments passed on it, ranging from it having a strong story to it not having one, so I think it's safe to say that these things are subjective. Of course I like the book but I am biased. Nevertheless I have decided to put this particular novel to the side for now and concentrate on my other ones.

I have a whole load of work to do for my MA and a ton of marking for work, so I can't really afford to dwell on these or any other rejections but suffice to say that these experiences have made me contemplate running off to a tropical paradise where every day is a weekend and I can sleep beneath palm trees listening to the gentle lapping of the ocean as I plot my next novel!

Pity, I don't have the money.