Tuesday, November 27, 2007

SCBWI Writer's Day

Hello one, hello all

I am in the middle of the most exciting task of writing reports, so of course in my work avoidance mode, I have decided to write a post, whilst listening to the wonderful and legendary Fairuz, a Lebanese singer.

Well, to be honest, I feel obliged to spread the glorious news that SCBWI Writer's Day was fantastic, awesome and spectacularly brilliant.

I attended the critique and social on the Friday evening, which was a really useful exercise. I drank copious amounts of wine, met some new writers and illustrators and talked through a manuscript I am currently working on. Saturday was jam packed full of writerly fun. The brilliant David Almond was the keynote speaker and his talk was inspiring. He talked about how it had taken him 17 years to finally get a full book published. That gives me hope!

I then attended a seminar run by Cornerstones which was very useful and another by Andrew Melrose, writer and lecturer at Winchester University, and of course alongside all this bookish stuff I got to meet with some fellow blogging writers, people like Jon, Anita, Sue, Candy and Addy. In fact Candy gave a pretty fab talk on the internet and writing. She's a mega energetic, absolutely fabulous font of knowledge!

So, in all a wholly inspiring weekend. Well worth the effort.