Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter Time

A belated Happy Easter to you all.



As I write I am located in my sister's study in Wales, with my niece standing next to me and my nephew practising piano!!

I spent the past week in Shropshire at the Arvon Hurst centre with sixteen kids and another teacher from my school who is also a very good singer musician. She was resident entertainer!

For those of you who don't know, Arvon runs wonderful courses for adults but it also welcomes school visits and so it happened that sixteen selected students got to go on a residential creative writing course led by award winning novelist Linda Newbery and fantastic poet Dean Parkin, with a mid week visit by the award winning playwright and actor Tim Crouch. How lucky were they??? They had a fab time- got loads of writing done and really benefited from the course. (That'll be £50 please Arvon! ;-))
My entire week was spent supervising them and helping them to cook and wash up dishes. I did indulge in a little writing but only a little. This week I intend to do lots more.

However, I am also currently working towards a text book for CGP as I mentioned before- an AS English Revision Guide, in fact. I'm authoring one of the sections- the one on Varieties of English.

I have an assignment to do for my MA - a picture book text so I have spent some time reading a few- books like The Gruffalo, The Whisperer, Mouse Look Out and The Book Eating Boy. I shall let you know how I get on in due course.