Thursday, March 29, 2012

Margaret Carey Foundation

Whilst writing my last post I came across a charity which offers interesting opportunities for prisoners to engage in projects that provide them with skills and that provide much needed support to those in need. The extent to which such charities or workshops exist or actually run in the increasingly over crowded prisons of today, I do not know. All I know is that I don't believe prison is the answer to today's ills. Brandishing everyone with the same brush is I am sure most would agree a crude form of self regulation for society. In the same way that one would not use a detention system in school time and again for every student if it wasn't working, surely society should look at the way it deals with apparent criminals.

Some might say that locking people up and forgetting about them will not solve society's problems. It will merely exacerbate them. Reform and genuine engagement and care are what cause change. Punishment may result in obedience and submission but genuine care, education and opportunity  have been shown to motivate people to change.